Saturday, November 04, 2006

Definition of a Spinner

So Here I sit trying desperately to make this blog much better than the others I have started, but with much error and very little computer technique it try try again.
This has not been the most productive year however, I have learned more about spinning than I would like to admit. I have also had the opportunity to spend more time with spinners than in the past. Yes it is true that spinners really are wonderful people with a certain calmness about that that most others lack. Weather it be a spinning wheel, spindle or charka, these people really have something that most other people lack. Maybe it is the determination it took to learn, or maybe the amount of concentration one needs to preform a once elementary task. Who knows? What I do know is that this is the reason I began spinning. That and the fact that I loved the wheels and beautiful yarns and textiles.
To give you a little back round on me. I never intended on being a spinner. As a matter for fact, for most of my life I thought that even knitting was for old women with way to much time on there hands. Although my mother did teach me to knit when I was young it was more of a way to keep me out of her way as she knit beautiful sweaters for her daughters as well as some other fortunate people in her life. At this point the seed was planted. I remember kitting in high school ( at home of coarse behind closed doors and in the dark so no one would see ) a beautiful scarf on over sized needles with a coral colored yarn. I wore that scarf for years. I even took some pride in the fact that I knit it. Each year that scarf would be taken out and worn until I was in my mid tewntys. At this point parenthood hit and that scarf no longer seemed to fit in to the mommy wardrobe. Lost it was to many other things in a place that time forgot, as was my knitting.
Then something happened. My daughter grew to a beautiful 13 year old girl and no longer looked to Mommy with all needs and I found myself searching for something to take up that time. Hmm Yes it was knitting. I found that I loved the motion and the calming effect it had. At that point I don't think that I was really that impressed by what I was doing.
Then came the big addition to my life. Spinning. Oh yea, I am hooked and do not feel in the least bit upset about the addiction. Now if I could find more time to do both as, I now have a wonderful boy who is two and a half. Full of snails and puppy dog tails that one. I guess if nothing else it gives me some one to knit for.
So in closing I hope you enjoy reading my blog. I hope to have some pictures of my work, and possibly some demonstrations that I will be doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home